Our Sustainability Advisory Services
Clean Energy Corporation Australia offer sustainability advisory services to reduce your utility outgoings, improve business efficiencies and build greater value into your assets, portfolio and brand.
We help clients achieve reductions in energy, water and waste bills by identifying strategic initiatives that deliver returns better than many financial investment options. We provide sound cost benefit analysis to identify attractive investments and map them out on a timeline that suits your budget. We are able to provide strategic advice across a range of areas such as the following:
- Energy, carbon, water and waste reduction strategy
- NABERS, Green Star, BASIX and LEED ratings
- Ecologically Sustainable Design (ESD) advice
- Organisational sustainability strategy and policy
- Building audits and performance improvement strategy
- Low or no capital cost funding solutions
- Carbon neutral certification under the National Carbon Neutral Standard
- Sustainability marketing and communications strategy
- Renewable energy system design and delivery
ADDING VALUE TO YOUR ORGANISATION
Our sustainability advisory services are designed to improve your organisation’s bottom line, whilst
reducing environmental and social impacts of its business activities.
We are able to provide strategic advice in the following areas for property assets or entire organisations:
1. Organisational sustainability strategy;
2. Energy, carbon, water and waste reduction strategy;
3. Ecologically Sustainable Design (ESD) strategy; and
4. Renewable energy and low carbon solutions.
CERTIFICATION UNDER THE NATIONAL CARBON OFFSET STANDARD CARBON NEUTRAL PROGRAM
Clean Energy Corporation Australia facilitate certification under the National Carbon Offset Standard Carbon Neutral Program administered by the Australian Department of The Environment. Benefits of certification include:
- Enhancement of brand reputation by using a nationally recognisable, robust certification targeted by other leading organisations (certified organisations shown below);
- Elimination of the entire organisation‘s environmental impacts due to greenhouse gas emissions; and
- Education of customers, suppliers and/or service providers about how to go carbon neutral.
ORGANISATIONAL SUSTAINABILITY STRATEGY
A well-implemented sustainability strategy improves your organisation’s bottom line whilst reducing environmental and social impacts of its
business activities. A sustainability framework needs to go beyond environmental aspirations with economic, social and environmental targets
embedded into organisational policy. Through consistent application, a successful sustainability strategy (and supporting framework):
- outlines the most important sustainability focus areas for the company;
- lays out a number of sustainability objectives within each focus area;
- establishes time-bound, measurable targets for each objective; and
- summarises the actions and policies that will drive businesses towards performance targets that result in real change and real profit.
A sample sustainability framework is shown below.
The key objectives of the strategy and framework are as follows:
- To raise sustainability to a strategic level that optimises business operations to achieve cost savings and reduced environmental and social impacts;
- To ensure consistency across the business and provide an overarching framework which avoids business managers creating a sustainability approach for every asset or project, saving time and costs; and
- To facilitate the development of policies and standard processes for ongoing activities to ensure sustainability goals are achieved and updated.
Our approach to developing a successful sustainability strategy is outlined below.
Our approach is to conduct a number of research and stakeholder engagement activities to gain a deep understanding of the business and relevant industry best practice. These activities support the detailed development of the sustainability strategy and framework. The key deliverable of this process is a sustainability strategy report with the following sections:
- The vision and drivers for sustainability in your organisation;
- Sustainability framework development process;
- Industry best practice and case studies;
- Sustainability focus areas and objectives;
- Key sustainability performance indicators and targets; and
- Proposed governance model and implementation strategy.
The sustainability strategy report (or an executive summary) can be polished to a high desktop publishing standard for external release.
ENERGY, CARBON, WATER & WASTE REDUCTION STRATEGY
Our approach is designed to reduce your utility bills whilst reducing environmental impacts using a simple three step process:
- Conduct detailed site inspections and auditing to understand daily and annual energy, carbon, water and/or waste profiles as well as relevant planned maintenance activities;
- Conduct life cycle analysis to: • calculate the life cycle cost (net present value) of each initiative, and corresponding IRR;
• quantify the environmental and social benefits of each performance improvement initiative; and
• identify the most cost effective performance improvement initiatives using a marginal cost benefit curve (sample below).
- Develop a customised course of action to implement preferred initiatives, including management of finance and delivery. This involves our core capabilities.
The chart below shows a sample marginal cost benefit curve illustrating the cost per tonne of CO2 (10-year net present value) abated for eight selected carbon reduction initiatives, and the relative percentage of the total carbon footprint abated by each. This type of cost benefit curve can be applied to energy, carbon, water and waste reduction initiatives.
ECOLOGICALLY SUSTAINABLE DESIGN (ESD) STRATEGY
Drawing from a rich depth of experience delivering ESD advice on a wide range of projects in the built environment, we are able to offer the following ESD services:
- ESD workshops, target setting and brief development for master plans, buildings and fitouts;
- Design advice for developments to meet minimum legislative requirements (e.g. BCA Section J, BASIX, NABERS) and voluntary sustainability ratings (e.g. Green Star Design & As Built, Green Star Communities, Green Star Performance, LEED, Living Building Challenge, ISCA IS);
- Development of ESD guidelines for new developments to manage peak loads and infrastructure costs;
- ESD reports for planning applications; and
- ESD peer reviews.
RENEWABLE ENERGY AND LOW CARBON SOLUTIONS
Our core offering is designed to provide a complete clean energy technology solution from concept to delivery. This involves bringing together leading clean energy finance partners, technology providers and system designers with our experienced in-house installation experts to deliver a complete service to suit your clean energy needs.
Our relationship with clean energy finance partners makes it possible for you to fund and install technologies such as LED lighting, solar PV and trigeneration using one of two attractive funding models:
- a ‘clean energy finance loan’ with interest rates below major banks and lenders; or
- a ‘power purchase agreement’ where the up front costs of sizing, procuring and installing the clean energy system are provided for (allowing your operations to be cash-flow positive from day one) and power is purchased at a rate below major electricity retailers.
For a wide range of clean energy technologies, we operate with an experienced in-house delivery team to mitigate risk with sub-contractors and to ensure high quality installation.